The Steps to Becoming a Physical Therapist
- Shadow, intern, and/or volunteer under a physical therapist. Try to obtain as many hours across a variety of settings that you can. Be sure to get the hours signed, as well.
- Undergrad education. Earn a bachelors degree; make sure your degree covers all of the pre-requisites required for the PT program you are interested in.
- Take the GRE. This stands for “Graduate Readiness Exam” and is required for numerous programs. Study hard…the GRE is known for being the “SAT on steroids!”
- Apply to a DPT program. There is a *mostly* universal application (most schools, but not all) called PTCAS. Beware: Be prepared to attend in-person interviews.
- Earn a Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy. Study, work hard, and enjoy the next three years of school!
- Pass the boards exam. Yes, you are done with school… “BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE!” You still have to take one last exam to get your license. Study, study, study!
- You did it! Now you are ready *cough* DOCTOR *cough* to provide patience with the care they need.
“How To Become a Physical Therapist in 7 Steps.” PTProgress, Aspire Pro on Genesis Framework, 17 Nov. 2018, www.ptprogress.com/become-physical-therapist-7-steps/.